Well, I said that would be the title. The cassock is finished, but you remember how I procrastinated about the sleeves? I’m still not happy with them. I’ll write up my mistakes to help you out there avoid them.
So here is the sleeve pattern I used this time. If you look at the earlier post you’ll see last time I went from a two piece sleeve draft going from a 1940s manual on garment cutting. The main problem here is that the cap is too tall and the sleeve too narrow at the top. This sort of shape might do for a 1940s ladies jacket for going out where one’s arms may remain gracefully by one’s sides. You might think this would be good for altar boys too – they should be sedate and solemn on the altar.
Here is my star altar boy in a shot taken with my rather idiosyncratic camera. The advantage of the washed out lighting is that you can see the details of the cassock better – the black material tends to hide these things which is great for minimizing mistakes. Also harder to work with at night if your eyes are not so strong.
The front band just covers the zipper. I think it should be a little wider to look right, but it’s all covered by the surplice when he’s serving and probably doesn’t matter too much. Buttons look much better – I might have to try that next time.
To the right is a worse shot with better colours. Also shows how eager he is to model the cassock – at least he’s more eager to get in front of a camera than to do school work, but that’s another story.
And to the right is what happens when arms are upraised as when he raises the priest’s chasuble at the consecration of the Mass – yes, the most important part of the Mass. Fortunately the surplice covers the worst of it. Still, it is worth doing the sleeves again.
So that’s the post for today. Yes, I’ve made another cassock and it works well enough but I’m not finished with the design yet. I’ll redo the sleeves for this one and the earlier cassock and let you know how it goes.
And be sure to let me know if I’m re-inventing the wheel here!